Fort Hays State College 1946-48
University of Kansas B.S. Chemical Engineering 1950
University of Illinois M.S. Chemical Engineering 1951
University of Illinois Ph.D. Chemical Engineering 1955
M.S. Film Boiling in the Metastable Region
Ph.D. Thermal Diffusion in Isomeric Liquid Mixtures
· Cedric K. Ferguson Medal 1964
Society of Petroleum Engineers, Best Technical Paper by Junior Member
· Distinguished Member of SPE, 1983
· J.J. Arps (Economics)Award of SPE 1989
· Western Region Service Award of SPE 1989
· Kansas Univ/Chemical/Petroleum Engineering Hall of Fame 2006
· Chemical Refinery Engineer 9/51-9/52
Esso Standard Oil Company, Baton Rouge , Louisiana
· Digital Computer Analyst/Programmer 11/54-6/58
Dow Chemical Company, Midland , Michigan & Freeport , Texas
· Research Scientist/Manager, Reservoir Analysis 6/58-9/62
California Research Corporation (Chevron), La Habra , California
· Senior Staff Mathematician/Assistant Manager 9/62-10/65
Electronic Computer Center , Standard Oil of California , San Francisco
· Manager, Management Science Department 10/65-1/68
Union Carbide Corporation, 270 Park Avenue , New York City
· President, D2 Computing Services, Inc. 1/68-6/68
Stamford , Connecticut
· Vice President and Director 6/68-8/71
Scientific Software Corporation, Denver
· Director 3/73-4/79
International Hydrodynamics, Ltd., Vancouver , B.C.
· Owner/Manager 6/80 ——
Maraco, Inc., Monarch Beach , California
· UCLA Extension, Engineering Mathematics 1959-1962
· University of California , Berkeley 1962-1965
Graduate Schools , Petroleum Engineering and Operations Research
· Stanford University , Petroleum Engineering 1964-1965
· University of Denver , Graduate School of Bus. Adm. 1969-1971
· University of Southern California 9/1971-9/1995
Professor of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering
Director, Energy Modeling Center 6/78-2/82
Emeritus Professor of Chemical & Petroleum Eng. 9/95 ——
· Society of Petroleum Engineers
· American Institute of Chemical Engineers
· Institute of Management Science/Operations Research Society of America
· International Association of Energy Economists
· Sigma Xi, Tau Beta Pi, Other Honor Societies
1. “Thermal Diffusion in Binary Mixtures of CS2 and Hexane Isomers”,
with W.M. Rutherford & H.G. Drickamer, J. Chem. Phys., 22, 1289 (1954).
2. “Thermal Diffusion in Liquid Mixtures of Simple Symmetry”,
with R.L. Saxton & H.G. Drickamer, J. Chem. Phys.,22, 1166(1954).
3. “Thermal Diffusion and Molecular Motion in Liquids”,
with H.G. Drickamer, J.Phys. Chem., 59, 443(1955).
4. “A Theory of Thermal Diffusion in Liquids”,
with H.G. Drickamer, J.Chem Phys., 23 (1955).
5. “The Approximation of Secondary Recovery Projects Using Moving Interfaces”,
with J.W. Sheldon, SPE 182, 1961 Fall Meeting, Dallas (October,1961).
6. “Calculated Temperature Behavior of Hot Water Injection Wells”,
with D.D. Smith and D.P. Squier, JPT (April, 1972), Trans. AIME, 225, (1962) p437.
7. “Mathematical Model of an Unstable Miscible Dispacement”, SPEJ, (June,1963) p155.
8. “The Use of Fluid-Fluid Interfaces to Predict the Behavior of Oil Recovery Processes”,
with J.W. Sheldon, SPEJ, (June,1964) p171.
9. “A Numerical Method for Computing the Dynamical Behavior of Fluid-Interfaces in
Permeable Media”, with J.W. Sheldon, SPEJ, (June,1964) p158.
10. “Simulation of Oil Reservoirs on a Digital Computer”, with H.C. Mitchell;
“Simulation of Moving Interfaces in Oil Reservoirs”, with H.J. Morel-Seytoux;
Proceedings, Computers in the Mineral Industries”, Stanford Univ. Publications,
Geological Sciences, Vol.9, No.2, (1964) p787 & p845.
11. “Use of Linear Programming to Smooth Geophysical Data”, J Petr. Geology (1966).
12. “The Physical Distrubution Function as it Looks to the Operations Research Manager”,
Invited Paper, Annual Meeting of Natl. Council of Physical Distribution Management,
Chicago , Illinois (April 6,1966)
13. “Improving Production Management in the Process Industries”,
Invited Paper, AMA Seminar, New York City (June 6,1967).
14. “Production Scheduling Today-Theory and Practice”, with B.R. Buzby & and T.L. Ray,
Invited Paper, Joint International Meeting of Mexican Society of Chemical Engineers
& American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Mexico City, (September 26,1967).
15. “Computerized Investment Planning”,
with D.H. Thurnau, Canadian Petroleum Journal (July, 1969).
16. “A Computerized System for Planning Major Investment Decisions in Oil”,
with D.H. Thurnau, SPE 2586, 44th Annual Meeting (October, 1969).
17. Ibid, Regional Meeting of ORSA, San Diego (March, 1970).
18. “Optimizing the Scheduling of Oil Field Development”, with R.C. Goodknight &
D.H. Thurnau, 21st Annual Technical Meeting, Petroleum Society
of Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Calgary, Alberta (May,1970).
19. “Drill Hole Density Optimization: An Application of Mathematical Modeling to
Maximize Expected Returns from Search”, Mining Journal (August,1970).
20. “Application of Optimizing Methods to Oil Field Problems: Proved, Probable, Possible”,
SPE 3978, 47th Annual Fall Meeting, San Antonio (October,1972).
21. Ibid, 43rd California Regional Meeting of SPE, (November,1972).
22. “Determining Optimum Bid Fraction”, SPE 4566, 48th Annual
Meeting, Las Vegas , (October,1973), JPT (March,1973)
23. “History Matching of Gas Simulation Models Using Optimal Control Theory”,
SPE 5271, 45th California Regional Meeting, Ventura , (April,1975).
24. “A Generalized Method for Making Optimal Estimates of Reservoir Aquifer Parameter”,
SPE 5361, 45th California Regional Meeting, Ventura (April,1975);
SPEJ (April,1978) p123-132.
25. “A Study of the Aggressive/Conservative Patterns of Bidders and Pre-Sale Evaluations:
Federal Oil and Gas Lease Sales”, with J.Lohrenz, SPE 6807, 52nd Annual
Meeting, Denver (October,1975).
26. “Statistical Analyses of Bids for Federal Offshore Leases” with J.Lohrenz, SPE 5583
50th Annual Meeting, Dallas (October,1975); JPT, p1377(November,1976).
27. “Money Left on the Table in Sealed Competitive Bidding: Federal Outer Continental
Shelf Oil and Gas Lease Bids”, with J.Lohrenz, SPE 6501,
Proc 1977 Economics and Evaluation Symposium, Dallas (February,1977).
28. “Statistical Analysis of Solo and Joint Bids for Federal Offshore Leases”, with J. Lorenz,
SPE 6517, 47th California Regional Meeting, (April,1977); SPEJ (April,1978).
29. “The Effect of Bias In Sealed, Competitive Bidding: Federal Offshore Oil and Gas Lease
Bids”, with J. Lohrenz, et. al., ORSA/TIMS Meeting, Los Angeles (November,1978).
30. “The Distribution of the Number of Bids Received per Offering: Sealed Bids for Mineral
Leases”, with J. Lohrenz, ORSA/TIMS Meeting, Los Angeles (November,1978).
31. “State of Alaska Oil and Gas Lease Bonus Bids: A Statistical Study”,
SPE 7995, 49th California Regional Meeting, Ventura (April,1979).
32. “The Relationships Between Bonuses Paid and Revenues Obtained for Individual
Bidders in Different Federal Offshore Oil and Gas Bonus Bid Lease Sales”,
with J. Lohrenz, et. al., “The Economics of Exploration for Energy Resources”,
J.B. Ramsey, Editor, J.A.I. Press, Greenwich , Connecticut ,
Proceedings of NYU Symposium, New York City (May,1979).
33. “The Number of Bids Received Per U.S. Oil and Gas Lease Offered: More or Less?”
with J. Lohrenz, JPT (June,1979).
34. ” U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Royalty Bidding”, with J. Lohrenz, JPT (Aug.,1980).
35. “An Integrated Computerized World Energy Planning System”, with J. Johnston,
B. Zagalai, et. al., SPE 10241, 56th Annual Meeting, San Antonio (October,1981).
36. “How Policies Affect the Rates of Recovery from Mineral Sources”, with J. Lohrenz,
et. al., SPE 9552, Proc. 1981 SPE Hydrocarbon Economics and Evaluation Symposium,
Dallas (February,1981), p39-52; SPEJ (December,1981).
37. “A Simulation Study of Detergent Flooding in a Vertical Cross Section”,
with G. Dominguez & L.L. Handy, SPE 10519, Sixth SPE Reservoir Simulation
Meeting, New Orleans, (February,1982).
38. “Production Taxes: Stealthy Killer of Revenue”, with J. Lohrenz & B.H. Burzlaff,
Oil and Gas Journal (February 7,1983) pp.68-71.
39. “Federal Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Bonus Bid Rejections: Viewpoints of Bidders and
Owners”, with J. Lohrenz, Proc. 1983 SPE Hydrocarbon and Economics and
Evaluation Symposium, Dallas , (March,1983).
40. “A New Approach to Optimizing Investments in Gas Production and Distribution”,
with E. Lombardino, B. Zagalai, B. O’Donnell, P. Goode and R. Hollis, Proc. 1983 SPE
Hydrocarbon Economics and Evaluation Symposium, Dallas (March,1983).
41. “A New Faster Gas Reservoir Simulation Model”, with E. Lombardino, B. Zagalai,
et. al., 53rd California Regional Meeting, Ventura (March,1983).
42. “A Model of the Search for Oil, Gas and Revenue by and for Investors and
Governments”, with J. Lohrenz and J.A. Pederson, “Government and Energy